The Citizen Potawatomi Nation Housing Department has a “One Time Grant” available to enrolled tribal members who are going to purchase, build or refi nance a home. This grant is for closing costs or down payment only.
All Citizen Potawatomi tribal members are eligible for this grant for one time only. The maximum amount available is $2,125 and does not have to be repaid. The criteria for this program are:
- The grant cannot be used for any type of mobile home.
- The grant cannot be used by convicted felons or for households where other members are felons.
- The home being purchased must be their primary residence and the tribal member’s name must be on the loan.
The application must be completed thoroughly and the following submitted:
- A copy of all household members’ CPN Tribal ID cards or Social Security cards.
- Copy of the “loan estimate” from lender.
- Income verification for all household members (last three to four pay stubs or if they’ve been with the same employer for years, the last two years of tax returns).
- Name of the closing entity (Title Co., Escrow Co., Attorney, etc.).
- Completed W-9 form.
- Copy of appraisal when available.
The application and support information is required in our office at least two to three weeks prior to the closing date. This gives our office enough time to get the paperwork processed and the check mailed back to the tribal member by the specified date.
If the time frame does not allow the grant to be requested before closing, we can also do the grant after closing. Different documents will be requested and it must be requested within 30 days of the closing date.
To request the application and/or general information regarding the “One Time Grant,” please contact Sherry Byers, Homeownership Manager at (405) 273-2833 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to assisting individual tribal members with this grant program, we would also like to see the Citizen Potawatomi Nation’s First National Bank & Trust benefit by originating the mortgage loans. FNB is able to offer most loan programs, offered by other lending institutions, except loan types affiliated with predatory lenders.
For information regarding loan products and lending requirements at First National Bank & Trust, please contact Jeff Scroggins, Mortgage Loan Officer at (405) 275-8830 or at 1-800-227-8362.
There are still many CPN members who do not know about this program and the tribal bank. Our office receives calls daily from tribal members that never knew of this grant or that the tribe owns their own bank. Please spread the word with your CPN family members.